Fast, affordable Internet access for all.
We're Hiring: Digital Communications Manager
The Institute for Local Self-Reliance (ILSR) is a national nonprofit working to reverse today’s extreme levels of corporate concentration and advance policies to rebuild the economic capacity of local communities. We use in-depth research, reporting, and data analysis to produce influential reports and articles. Our work illuminates the public policy decisions that have fueled concentration and shows how we can change the rules to create a more equitable and democratic future. Our analysis is frequently featured in national news media and sought out by policymakers. We work closely with a broad range of allies to move these ideas and policies.
ILSR is hiring a Digital Communications Manager, who will work closely with the Communications Director to develop and implement communication strategies that support the mission of the Institute for Local Self-Reliance.
In this role, you will work across several different initiatives to write, edit, and design creative public messaging to promote ILSR’s work through the organization’s newsletters, website, social media, events, and more. Download the full description here, or see this job posting at ilsr.org.
Social Media (35%)
- Design captivating visuals that grab attention, enhance engagement, and broaden interest in ILSR reports, blogs, podcasts, and other releases
- Craft copy that strikes the right chords of urgency, hope, and assurance to keep followers actively engaged
- Monitor social media for opportunities to engage with trending, highly relevant, and staff-generated content
- Log publicity hits and translate key passages into compelling social media content
- Maintain the ILSR website including drafting original content, copy editing, selecting images and infographics, and ensuring site-wide consistency and visual appeal of posted content
Multimedia Production (15%)
- Distill and repurpose audio and video content from staff interviews, public hearings, virtual events, and other recordings that can be used on social media and other platforms
- Occasional assistance with production of ILSR podcasts
- Manage and distribute regular email campaigns to multiple lists by synthesizing recent reports, releases, organizational happenings, and industry news
- Assist with content and layout of occasional ILSR pdf and printed publications
- Support ILSR staff in virtual event planning and promotion
- Expand content reach through outside channels via media kits, crossposts, and direct outreach
- Track and present data for ILSR’s website, newsletters, and social media to help improve strategies and tactics
A Successful Candidate is:
- Passionate about ILSR’s mission of countering corporate monopolies and building community power
- A good communicator in both written and visual formats with the ability to synthesize and convey complex ideas and policies in a clear and compelling way
- Experienced in managing social media channels
- Attuned to media trends and topics with an instinct for what will garner attention and enhance shareability
- Attentive to accuracy, detail, and nuance
- A creative thinker and collaborative team member
- Comfortable working with productivity tools and systems
- A skilled time manager with the ability to manage both long- and short-term deadlines
- Interested in using data to inform communication strategies and tactics
- A bachelor’s degree or higher
- 5+ years of experience with translating complex messages into copy, graphics, and video content for broad audiences and with publishing via a variety of traditional and social media
- Understanding and engagement with public policy and economic issues, the legislative process, and grassroots movements
- Experience with the tools our communications team relies on: Google Workspace, Dropbox, Mailchimp, Hootsuite, Canva, Asana, and WordPress
This position is full-time and can be done remotely or based in an ILSR office in Minneapolis, MN; Portland, ME; or Washington, DC where the Communications Director is based. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. The salary range for this position is $60,000 to $70,000 depending on skills and experience. Position includes 100% employer-paid health plan (you pay no premiums); generous vacation, holiday and parental leave; and a retirement plan with a matching contribution. We are a dynamic and friendly team dedicated to making the world a better place. ILSR takes professional growth seriously.
This is a bargaining union position with salary and benefits subject to pending collective bargaining, represented by OPEIU Local 12.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter addressed to Reggie Rucker, résumé, and no more than four samples reflecting your original work to email@example.com. The cover letter should be no longer than 400 words and include mention of how you learned about the position.
At least one of the samples should be a writing sample, and no writing sample should be longer than 1,000 words (excerpts of longer pieces are welcome). If you have an online portfolio, you are welcome to include a link to that in addition to the samples included in your submission. Please submit all materials as a single PDF.
The subject line of the email should read, “Application for Digital Communications Manager.” We are accepting applications on a rolling basis until this position is filled. Check ILSR’s website for updated information.
If you’re excited about this position, but feel you don’t meet 100% of the requirements, please apply — we are looking for exceptional candidates, not candidates that check boxes.
ILSR welcomes applicants from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences. Black people, Indigenous people, people of color, women, people with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, transgender, gender-nonconforming, veterans, and formerly incarcerated individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
ILSR is an Equal Opportunity Employer
ILSR is committed to providing employees with a welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment. ILSR is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.